Forums » Marketing for Writers

Using YouTube to promote your work

• August 30, 2016 12:30 PM PDT

I wasn't familiar with the concept until rather recently. I pretty much thought YouTube was just a good place to watch music videos and try to find episodes of my favorite TV shows. But then I read an article about another author (I don't remember who or where, sorry!) using book trailers to promote their work. I've found a surprising number of them now that I've started looking!

If, like me, you are video-making challeneged, there are artists out there willing to make one for you...for a price. Freelancer.com is a great place to start and you can tell them what you're willing to pay. Below is the one I had created for my debut novel. If you'd like to know who I used (or even how much I paid!), feel free to contact me. Good luck in your own pursuit of success and do consider posting your own book trailer.

If you'd like to know who I used (or even how much I paid!), feel free to contact me. Good luck in your own pursuit of success and do consider posting your own book trailer.

This post was edited by Ronelle Antoinette at August 30, 2016 12:33 PM PDT
    • 2 posts
    August 30, 2016 7:42 PM PDT

Hi Ronelle, the YouTube idea sounds interesting.  Can you give me a ballpark figure on cost, please?  Probably out of my league, but worth asking  :-)

• August 30, 2016 7:46 PM PDT

Hi Fleur. I paid $50 for that trailer! :) I think the best way, if you're going through Freelancer.com, is to host a contest with a prize of however much you can spend.

• September 7, 2016 2:16 AM PDT

Renelle Antoinette Freelancer one of most prominent website for promiting things and work giving you result as I m same doing !

• 3 posts
    September 7, 2016 2:29 PM PDT

That's quite interesting. I was just thinking of creating a trailer for each one of my books and your information is quite helpful. Thank you

• September 7, 2016 2:34 PM PDT

You're welcome, Roxana! If you do decide to create trailers, would you consider letting us know so we can see them?

• 3 posts
    September 7, 2016 2:53 PM PDT

Yes, of course. I will make a point in telling you (I have to boast a little, don't I?)

• September 7, 2016 3:02 PM PDT

Oh absolutely! I look forward to seeing them. :)