Forums » New Writers Q & A

Barefoot Writer's Club - AWAIONLINE scam?

• 1 posts
    December 20, 2012 8:26 AM PST

I subscribed to Writer's Digest newsletter and received what looks like a really spammy link to a page that claims:

How to Make a Great Living as a Writer…
    Even If You Never Publish a Single Novel,
    Short Story, or Poem in Your Life!

The page says it's part of the American Writer's and Artists Inc, and the offer is called "The Barefoot Writer's Club".

The landing page reminds me of a really slick funnel page for a network marketing or MLM company, with lots of buzzwords.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with The Barefoot Writer's Club? I tried to research and found lots of links about Mark Ford aka Mark Masterson, but all either seemed to be written by people who had never tried the Barefoot Writer's Club or were clearly being paid to hype the club and AWAI.

The price is $49 and promises they've "Changed Writer's Life Forever".  So says "Mindy McHorse", "Barefoot Writer".

Looking forward to feedback.

• 1 posts
    January 4, 2013 2:47 PM PST
    Hi Elsy,

I'm happy to testify for that publication!

Quick disclaimer: I'm the editor of the digital magazine, The Barefoot Writer. And I can tell you firsthand that we pour every ounce of writing and marketing know-how into each issue so our subscribers get the best info possible for launching careers as paid, professional writers.

But that's not why I'm replying.

I'm responding because I am passionately grateful for everything AWAI has done for me. Everything I learned about writing for profit came from AWAI materials and events. And the people who run the company are genuinely committed to helping others achieve their writing dreams.

If you ever have any doubts about AWAI, I urge you to read this article: http://www.awaionline.com/is-awai-a-scam/. />
    And if you'd like to know more about the real writers whose lives have indeed been changed by the knowledge they gained from AWAI, please go here: http://www.awaionline.com/wall-of-fame/. />
    Keep in mind, this club, and the company behind it, indeed give writers the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to make a living writing. But it's up to us as writers to stick with it, plow through our own doubts, and persevere through any challenges.

Once you do all that ... I guarantee it's beyond worth it.

Please send any other questions my way, and have a happy New Year!

Best,
    Mindy