Forums » Writers Wanted

• 8 posts
    November 17, 2015 11:02 PM PST

Has anyone had any dealings with American Writers and Artists Inc? I have. I wondered if others found that far from providing a service that leads to earning from copywriting, they treat you as a milch cow and keep trying to sell you more and more 'ways to make a fortune'. I'm sceptical and think they are scammers but I would like to hear from anyone who has an alternative experience as I could be wrong.

Fran Connor

• November 18, 2015 10:20 AM PST

Hi Fran,

My inbox is constantly e-bombed with ads from AWAI. The premise looks like a model that is often used for marketing other home businesses, most notably MLM companies - you sign up, pay a monthly fee for access to their special content, then pay upcharges for additional courses or insider's guides.

I have yet to meet a writer who has used AWAI's services and reported any success. Well, to be perfectly honest, I've yet to meet a writer who has signed up for AWAI, period.

Google results show that they have been promoting their six-figure copywriting program since at least 2008. They are tied in with Writers Digest, at least it seems of you subscribe to any info for WD you start getting the AWAI emails.

Threads on the program abound. Most are asking the same question you did, but nowhere do I see any solid answers from writers with any verifiable credentials.  To stay in business this long, someone must be buying the program.

They do have an A+ rating with the BBB, which surprised me and would seem to indicate they are not generating many complaints. http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/business-reviews/desktop-publishing/american-writers-and-artists-in-delray-beach-fl-26000012

This post was edited by Christopher Holliday at November 18, 2015 10:21 AM PST
    • 2 posts
    May 25, 2016 12:37 PM PDT

I agree that there is a significant hit on the inbox from AWAI. They seem to be constantly trying to uupsell anything that you puurchase from them. I got fed up with it and so have no further contact with them.

• 2 posts
    July 24, 2016 11:45 PM PDT

I looked into them, didn't really find anyone saying much that was good, so I didn't advance too far into it with them. Everything I read said they try to sell you more and more expensive training, instead of pointing you toward potential jobs or leads. They are still trying to sell me stuff though, and send lots of emails. I just send it to the trash.